- I love Annabel Langbein‘s cookbooks. Her meals are simple and classy, plus I love a woman in a great outfit with gumboots.
- Macarons from J’aime les macrons. This shop is in Christchurch, where two ladies handmake these delicious little treats. Buy ten online for a girlfriend as a special present, then make sure you’re there with the pot of tea and a helpful look on your face when she opens them and says “Oh wow! But how will I eat them all?”
- Pyrenees French Deli in Mt Albert – see above. Cheese. Beetroot and feta slice. Awesome coffee. Pastries. French cookware. Heaven.
- I bought this beautiful bag (left) from local label Zabbana for summer; you can take off the strap and use it as a clutch. Yay, I like me some multitasking.
- Naveya & Sloane jewellery (right). Timeless, lovely, feminine.
- Australian film Animal Kingdom (left); one of the best I have seen in a long time.
- American series The Wire.
- I just read Affluenza by Oliver James, which reminded me to worry less about getting, buying and having stuff.
- Mojo by Jez Butterworth (right), a play that I’m producing with my fiancee, and he’s in it. Clever boy. On from October 28th at The Basement.
- You can’t control the actions of others, but you can control your reaction to them.
- Pay off your credit card every month.
- This too shall pass.
- Get a pap smear every year and look after your gynaecological health, check out http://www.nzgcf.org.nz
- Just talk about it.
- Use a combination of cottage cheese and grated tasty cheese instead of cheese sauce in lasagne so it doesn’t get gluggy.
PEOPLE (and other beings I like)
- My fiancee
- My cats Omar and Billie-Jean
- Cate Blanchett, Frances McDormand, Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Meryl Streep: actresses who aren’t afraid to be open, vulnerable, true, or to age gracefully.
- New Chums in the Coromandel
- My backyard with the sun above, putting the washing out: I love how fresh the sun makes washing feel. And putting it out makes me feel useful, and grounded. Plus the cat likes chatting to me as I do it.
- On set, first thing in the morning, coffee in hand.